Thursday, August 26, 2010

beginning japanese

I am excited to learn Japanese.  Today is the first week of our new class, which we will have five days a week!  My friends seemed to be much more impressed with my learning Japanese than Spanish.  The foreign characters give it a certain "wow" factor that Spanish can't compete with.
My interest in japanese (nihongo) started in 1999 when my family and I moved to Tokyo for my father's work.  I only lived their for about a year and a half, but it was quite a learning experience.  I become moderately good (for an american fourth grader) at japanese while I lived there, but have since then been slowly forgetting everything I learned, so much so that I could not understand even the instructions on the placement exam here at nd. 

3 comments:

  1. Blog designは とても きれいです(pretty)。

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends are very impressed with me learning Japanese as well. Although that's to be expected, since it is one of the hardest languages for English speakers to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Another person that lived in Japan! I know about losing the language. I was starting to get good enough to have a conversation in a restaurant, but everything is gone now. By the way, I went to ASIJ and I lived in the Mejiro district of Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete